Athletic Policy on Eligibility
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY ELIGIBILITY
- Students who, upon having their work checked at the end of each week period, and have one (1) or more failing grades will be considered ineligible.
- Students will be required to attend mandatory after-school tutoring, provided by the school. Tutoring will be held after school in each grade level pod.
- While a student is ineligible, participation in practice and travel to competitions will not be permitted.
- At the next grade check, if the student is passing all classes with a C- or better, they will no longer be required to attend after school tutoring and may compete with the team.
- At the end of a two (2) week period, if the student is still failing the same class, they will be removed from the extra-curricular activity.
- If the student is passing all classes but has a D+, D, or D- in any class the following applies:
- Students who, upon having their grades checked at the end of each week, have one (1) or more D+, D, or D- (but no failing grades) will be required to attend mandatory after school tutoring, provided by the school, for (1) week.
- Students on probation will not attend the first 45 minutes of practice. Students will attend tutoring and then attend practice.
- During this time, students may continue to compete in all competitions
- At the end of the week, if the student no longer has any grades below a C-, they will no longer be required to attend after school tutoring.
The eligibility criterion for extracurricular participation shall be a passing grade in all classes in which the student is enrolled.
The courses in which a student must receive a passing grade, in order to be eligible, shall be part of a program leading to promotion consistent with state statutes, State Board rules, and local District policy.
The responsibility for notification of students and parents of these requirements and for enforcement of the above rule rests with the Superintendent.
- The student and the parents or guardian shall be notified of ineligibility in a manner such that confidentiality is maintained when:
- Ineligibility is pending. (probation)
- Ineligibility is determined to be necessary. (failure)
- Support services shall be made available to students who become ineligible for extracurricular programs as well as to students notified of pending ineligibility.
Students whose behavior presents a problem or jeopardizes school discipline may be ineligible for participation in extracurricular activities until such time as their behavior warrants reinstatement. The same general standards shall apply for special education students except that such eligibility shall be determined on a case-by-case basis in relation to the respective students' individual education programs.
The Superintendent shall consult with and invite comment on this policy from parents and teachers and shall make recommendations to the Board regarding this policy, as necessary, after considering such comments. The Board, as a part of the procedure for adoption of this policy, shall hold a public hearing on the contents of this policy.
The Superintendent shall establish regulations to ensure that:
- Necessary documents in support of this policy are maintained.
- Necessary data related to ineligible students are collected and reported as required by law.
- The cultural traditions of students are considered when establishing or enforcing rules related to participation in extracurricular activities.
- The requirements of this policy are met.
The Superintendent may develop additional rules or procedures for the proper conduct of extracurricular programs and the implementation of the provisions of this policy.
Adopted: Date of manual adoption
JJIB - Interscholastic Sports